These Mexican hot dog tacos, or flautas de winnie, are not the most well known tacos, but they are absolutely worth a try. These crispy tacos are easy to make, budget friendly and perfect for taco nights or taco Tuesdays.
Mexican Hot Dog Tacos
Have you ever heard of these crispy fried Mexican hot dog tacos?
Hot dog tacos, flautas de winnie, tacos dorados de salchicha, are just some of the names which these tacos are known by. You could even call them taco dogs…lol!
They’re not too well known. In Mexico I believe they originated in the state of Nayarit…but I’ve also seen mentioned Mazatlan, Sinaloa. Nayarit and Sinaloa are neighboring states so somewhere along there is where they’re said to have been invented.
Regardless of where they came to be, one thing for sure is that they are some delicious tacos!
Of course these Mexican hot dog tacos are not the healthiest thing in the world. But as an every once in a while treat, they are definitely worth a treat.
Well, actually vegan hot dogs are not as unhealthy as meat-based ones. Read this article on VegNews.
Why You Should Make Flautas de Winnie
If you love an incredibly easy taco dinner to make, then this is a recipe you’ll want to try out as soon as possible. Let me give you a few reasons why you should make Mexican hot dog tacos.
- They’re incredibly budget friendly! None of the ingredients will break your budget.
- Ingredients are found anywhere you live.
- They’re a fun and new way to use up extra hot dogs and to eat hot dogs.
- Flautas de winnie are easy to make. Anyone at any cooking level can make these.
- The flavors really just work so well together.
- You can make them for a fun Taco Tuesday meal or even as an appetizer.
- These tacos are fun and delicious game night food.
Are These Tacos Vegan?
Well that all depends on what type of hot dog sausage you use. Also the toppings!
I, of course, only use vegan hot dogs for these hot dog tacos.
Remember that I live in Mexico so that brands available to me here are not available elsewhere. My recommendation is just to use your favorite vegan hot dog brand. Or if you have bought some vegan hot dogs that you didn’t like, this is a great way to use them up.
For the crema I use my homemade vegan crema recipe. You can get the recipe here. If you want a vegetarian or dairy sour cream feel free to use that.
The cotija cheese is also my homemade cotija cheese. I’ve also got that recipe here on the blog. You can use any type of vegan cheese or dairy cheese that you’d like.
Salsas if you want vegan make sure you make it yourself or read the ingredients list on the package to make sure no animal products were used.
Hot Dog Tacos Ingredients
The ingredients list is incredibly simple and easy to gather. Make sure that you have the toppings also ready to use.
- Corn Tortillas: Use your favorite brand.
- Hot Dogs: Use your favorite vegan brand.
- Vegetable Oil : For frying the tacos.
- Shredded Lettuce: Or you could use cabbage instead too.
- Mexican Sour Cream: Either vegan or dairy based
- Salsa: Use your favorite, I used salsa verde this time.
- Cotija Cheese: Either vegan or dairy based, or any type of cheese you’d like.
I’ve seen some people add as long thick strip of cheese with the hot dogs when they roll it up in the tortillas. This would definitely make for a delicious variation.
If you don’t want to fry and have some extra taco shells laying around you could use those instead. You would just sauté the hot dog until it gets a little crispy. Then place it and all the toppings in the taco shell.
Another fun thing you could do is to serve these in bite-size pieces for a party appetizer or snack. Simple roll up the hot dogs in the tortillas, then slice into small pieces and locking them into place with a toothpick. For this you could serve with salsa or even ketchup and mustard.
How to Make Mexican Hot Dog Tacos
Making these tacos is so so easy, really anyone with any cooking experience can make them.
- First warm up the tortillas just until they are soft and bendable. Put a hot dog on the tortillas and roll it up. Seal with toothpick. Repeat all ingredients are all used up.
- Now heat the oil in a large frying pan. Once hot you can start to fry the tacos. Fry for 5 minutes on one side, or until crispy and golden. Flip over and fry another 3 minutes or until crispy and golden.
- Don’t crowd the pan and work in batches.
- Line a large plate with paper towels so you can drain off the excess oil after frying the tacos. Allow to cool slightly and remove toothpicks before serving.
- Now you can serve each person 3 tacos and add the toppings. Serve immediately.
More Vegan Taco Recipes To Try
- Mexican Broccoli Recipe (Brocoli A La Mexicana)
- Tacos de Papa Dorados (Potato Tacos Recipe)
- Vegan Birria Tacos
- Potato Tacos with Spinach
- Chorizo and Potato Tacos | Tacos Vegan de Chorizo con Papas
How to Make Them for a Vegan and Meat Eating Home
Ok let me be very clear, I am not telling anyone to eat meat. I am however, as requested by so many followers, giving tips on how to cook for homes with mixed diets. It’s a lot of work so here are my tips.
For those of you that live in a household with both vegans or vegetarians and meat eaters, let me give you some pointers.
For your vegan or vegetarian version make sure to use the vegan hot dogs and decide if you want to use vegan or dairy based crema and cheese.
Do separate your ingredients from the others. Roll up your hot dog tacos on a different surface than the meat ones and place them aside so you don’t get confused.
For the meat eaters in your home roll up their meat-based hot dogs on a separate surface and set them aside from the vegan hot dogs. Clearly make it visible, or even write a note and leave it on the different hot dogs.
To fry the two different versions, first fry the vegan hot dog tacos. Then once you’re done with those, go in and fry the meat based tacos. Your vegan tacos won’t get contaminated with meat juices and the meat eaters won’t know a difference…promise!
How to Serve Mexican Hot Dog Tacos
You can serve these tacos like you would any other tacos.
The topping of the lettuce, sour cream, salsa and cheese are a must.
Can You Make Them in The Air Fryer or Oven
Yes you can!
In the air fryer simply spray the tacos with some cooking oil and air fry at 370F for about 8 to 10 minutes. Do check on them halfway through and flip over. Cook until they’re golden brown and crispy.
For the oven method you first preheat the oven to 420F. Place the tacos on a baking sheet, and spray with cooking oil on all sides. Bake in center of the oven until golden and crispy, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Serve with toppings as normal.
How to Reheat Flautas
You can microwave them for a few minutes.
In a pan you can add a little bit of oil and cook until warmed through. About 5 minutes. But keep a close eye on them so they don’t burn.
I feel the air fryer is the best method so that they are not only warmed through but also crisp back up. Heat to 380F and air fry for about 6 minutes, flip halfway through. Also be sure to check the tacos because some air fryers are more powerful and your tacos can burn.
Mexican Hot Dog Tacos | Flautas de Winnie Recipe
- 12 toothpicks to hold the tacos together
- 12 corn tortillas
- 12 vegan hot dogs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 cup Mexican sour cream vegan or dairy based
- 2 cups salsa of your choice
- 1 cup cotija cheese either vegan or dairy based
- Warm up the tortillas in the microwave just a few seconds so they become soft and bendable. Place a hot dog on the tortillas and roll it up. Seal with toothpick. Repeat until tortillas and hot dogs are all used up.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and once hot fry the tacos. Fry for 5 minutes on one side, or until crispy and golden. Flip over and fry another 3 minutes or until crispy and golden. Don’t crowd the pan and work in batches.
- Drain off the excess oil on a paper towel lined plate. Allow to cool slightly and remove toothpicks before serving.
- Serve 3 tacos per person and top with lettuce, crema, salsa and cheese. Serve immediately. Enjoy