Tacos are life, wouldn’t you agree?
Hola amigos! In today’s recipe I’m going to be sharing one of the best fillings for tacos: chorizo con papas or chorizo and potatoes — it’s one of my favourite ways of eating tacos and I make this quite often.
Of course we’re using soyrizo and you can find it in the cold section of your local supermarket or even on Amazon.
If you don’t already know the difference between Mexican and Spanish chorizo, Mexican is traditionally made using pork which is minced into fine bits and marinated in a mild chile-based adobo sauce; the results are a crumbly chorizo sausage. Spanish chorizo is a paprika spiced cured sausage. Both are equally delicious but are not interchangeable in most recipes.
Ok let’s get cooking!
Watch the recipe video right below this paragraph or you can also view it on my YouTube channel in case you can’t see it here.
Table of Contents
Chorizo and Potato Tacos | Chorizo con Papas
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 small white onion roughly chopped into small pieces (adjust to taste)
- 14 oz or 400 gm soyrizo
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 medium potatoes peeled, cut into bitesize pieces & boiled until tender
- salt to taste
- warm corn tortillas
- chopped cilantro
- chopped onion
- lime wedges
- your favouritesalsa
- First get the potatoes ready by peeling, cutting and boiling them. You can put them on the stove while you work on step 2, cooking the chorizo. The potatoes should only need to boil just until tender, so about 8 minutes.
- Heat the oil and once warm add the onion, add a pinch of salt and saute until soft. Add the soyrizo and stir until well combined. Cook until the soyrizo begins to get crispy — stirring now and then. Now add the minced garlic and mix until well combined with the chorizo, then add the boiled & drained potatoes and mix until combined with the other ingredients. Sprinkle in a little salt if desired, allow to cook for 10 minutes.
- Serve your chorizo con papas tacos with some chopped cilantro and white onion and lime wedges. Enjoy!
This vegan meal is super easy to put together and actually the chorizo con papas is perfect for using in tortas, gorditas, sopes, burritos, nachos, quesadillas and anything else you’d like.
Thanks so much for stopping by I do hope you cook this very soon — if you do make sure to tag us on social media.
Nancy Lopez is a food blogger and author of the cookbook Mexican Tamales Made Meatless. Born in Mexico, raised in the US, and currently living in Southern Mexico, she has followed a meatless diet for almost 10 years. It is her passion and mission to share all she has learned about vegan Mexican cooking and vegetarian Mexican recipes. Mexican Made Meatless is a blog dedicated to preserving the authentic flavors of Mexican cuisine just without the meat. It’s a place to celebrate Mexican culture and all it’s delightfully delicious traditional foods. Read more…