Cranberry Sauce is a must have staple on the American Thanksgiving Day table. You’ve got to try this vegan Merlot cranberry sauce recipe. It’s delicious!
Though not a traditional food for the Mexican holiday season, it is however a staple on my Mexican-American fusion holiday table.
If you dislike cranberry sauce because you’ve only ever had it out of a can, this recipe is going to change your world!
No gelatinous globs from a tin can here! No yucky preservatives or weird ingredients here.
And best of all, you’re going to make it from scratch. I promise you’re going to receive lots of compliments on your homemade cranberry sauce.
How to Make Vegan Merlot Cranberry Sauce from Scratch
Homemade cranberry sauce is so incredibly easy. Really you’re going to wonder why you haven’t tried it before.
Check out my easy recipe below.
Vegan Merlot Cranberry Sauce from Scratch
- ½ lb. or 230 grams frozen whole cranberries
- ¾ cup water
- 1 cup muscovado sugar or piloncillo
- ¼ cup Merlot wine
- ½ teaspoon ground cinammon
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- pinch of ground cardamom
- 4 whole allspice
- 2 whole cloves
- Pour the water, wine and sugar into a pot. Stir and allow the sugar to melt completely, then add all of the spices and frozen cranberries. Stir ingredients well. Simmer over medium low heat, stirring occasionally. Simmer until the cranberries break down and the liquid thickens. Taste the sauce and adjust the sugar to the sweetness desired.
Make Sure It’s Vegan
Though you could use any brown sugar, if you want it to be vegan use muscovado sugar.
Additionally double check the brand of Merlot you used.
Cranberry Sauce with a Mexican Touch
To give your cranberry sauce swap out the muscovado sugar for piloncillo. It’ll give the sauce a slightly different taste, but still delicious!
Some people also like to add orange peel or zest. This will add another level of flavor.
Feel free to experiment and see if you like it.
More Side Dishes to Try
- Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- French Style Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Mexican Style Okra (Okra a la Mexicana)
- Zanahorias en Escabeche or Mexican Spicy Pickled Carrots
- How to Make Mexican Green Beans | Ejotes con Huevos
- Sautéed Nopales | Quick & Easy Recipe for Preparing Prickly Pear Cactus Pads
- Brocóli A La Mexicana or Mexican Style Broccoli
- Vegan Refried Beans (Frijoles Refritos)