An authentic and favorite Mexican green bean recipe, ejotes con huevos or Mexican green beans with eggs. Excellent as a vegetarian meal when served with refried beans, or just as delicious when served as a side dish.
Today I want to share one of my childhood favorite dishes, ejotes con huevos or green beans with eggs. I have not tasted this dish in nearly 12 years or whenever it was that my mom last made it for me. I don’t know how it happened but I had somehow forgotten all about it.
A few weeks ago I was looking for a quicker side dish alternative to refried beans to go with our Mexican dinner. Out of nowhere ejotes con huevos popped into my head. Memories of my mother’s green beans flooded my head and taste buds, and like a light bulb going off in my head I knew I had to make them asap.
Carefully and from memory I put all of the ingredients together and hoped for the best results. As we sat down to dinner I told hubby we were having a new dish from my childhood. After his first bite he blurted out “These are really good! What is it, what’s it called?” I went on to explain that they were one of my most favorite childhood dishes. The next words out of his mouth were something along the lines of feeling cheated that I had never made ejotes for him. He cracks me up!
To say that my husband’s reaction made me happy is an understatement. It’s just such a great feeling sharing a childhood favorite and having the other person love it just as much. Wouldn’t you agree?
The recipe is very simple and you can use either fresh, frozen or canned green beans. Over the past few weeks I’ve tested the recipe with fresh, frozen and canned beans with great results. Also if you don’t eat spicy feel free to omit the chile, or for a spicier version add more chile.
(If you don’t see the video right below this text, view it on our YouTube channel by clicking here.)
Mexican Green Beans with Eggs (Ejotes con Huevo)
- 500 g or 1 lb. fresh green beans* cut into even size pieces
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1-2 chiles or as desired finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 medium tomato finely chopped
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil more if needed
- 4 medium eggs lightly beaten
- refried beans make your own with my recipe**
- corn tortillas
- Heat oil in a large pan, once warm saute the onions until soft. Next, add the chiles, cook for 2 minutes then add the garlic and cook another 2 minutes. Add the green beans, tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Cook until green beans are to the desired texture. Once green beans are to desired texture pour the lightly beaten eggs into the pan. Stir and cook until eggs have cooked through. Try not to overcook or burn the eggs, as this will give the dish a bitter taste.
- Serve with refried beans, tortillas and salsa of choice. Additionally, they can be served as a side dish to any Mexican meal.
Typically the green beans are served alongside refried beans and tortillas, it makes a light vegetarian meal. I also like to serve them as a side dish. However you serve and eat them, I hope this dish will also become one of your favorites too. Provecho!