You’re going to fully enjoy this recipe for roasted French style brussels sprouts with almonds. Such a simple recipe but one of the best ways to eat the little choux.
When ever I see fresh Brussels sprouts I always splurge since they’re one of my favorite vegetables.
The first time I ate choux de Bruxelles aux amandes was when a Parisian friend prepared them for a dinner party. Tasting them roasted with bits of almonds opened my eyes to just how delicious Brussels sprouts could really be.
Do They Come from Belgium
So a fun fact about Brussels sprouts is finding out if they originated in the Belgium capital. According to Wikipedia
“many historian do not believe the plant originated there.”
So then why are they named after a city in Europe which they do not come from you ask?
Apparently they were cultivated in ancient Roman times in modern day Italy. Then in the 1200s in Belgium.
So what we know today as a Brussels sprout was cultivated in Belgium during the late 1500s in mass quantities. Apparently that is the reason behind the name.
Health Benefits of Eating Brussel Sprouts
Did you know that Brussels sprouts are quite nutritious? Well they are!
- They are a good source of fiber
- loaded with vitamins K and C
- can help lower cholesterol
- are an antioxidant food
- naturally anti-inflammatory
- good for your hear
Why Do Brussels Sprouts Taste Bad
I know the Brussels sprout haters are asking if they’re so good for you then why do Brussels sprouts taste so bad?
The simple reason is that whomever cooked them overcooked the Brussel sprouts.
So apparently overcooking Brussels sprouts causes them to release an unpleasant sulfur smell giving them that bad taste. If you don’t want them to taste bad then don’t overcook them.
Overcooking also makes them lose their nutritional value.
How to Cook French Style Brussels Sprouts with Almonds
Choux de Bruxelles aux amandes is a seasonal, simple, and nutritious side dish. It’s perfect for as a Thanksgiving and Christmas side dish. But also great for a weeknight dinner.
Roasted French Style Brussels Sprouts with Almonds
- 1 lb. fresh Brussels sprouts
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 3.5 oz blanched almonds
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons olive oil adjust to taste
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 392F . Properly rinse the Brussels sprouts, remove any damaged outer leaves. Cut off bottom stem, then cut in halves. In a large bowl gently toss the Brussels Sprout halves with the remaining ingredients. Making sure to evenly coat them all.
- Place on a baking sheet and then into the center of oven. Roast for about 15 to 20 minutes or until they reach your desired tenderness. Try to not overcook them, and as you now know overcooking Brussels sprouts will cause them to release an unpleasant odor. Serve as a side dish and enjoy!
More Side Dish Recipes
- Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Mexican Style Okra (Okra a la Mexicana)
- Zanahorias en Escabeche or Mexican Spicy Pickled Carrots
- How to Make Mexican Green Beans | Ejotes con Huevos
- Sautéed Nopales | Quick & Easy Recipe for Preparing Prickly Pear Cactus Pads
- Brocóli A La Mexicana or Mexican Style Broccoli
- Vegan Refried Beans (Frijoles Refritos)