If you’re vegan or dairy free, you can absolutely still have Mexican strawberries and cream. You are going to love this plant-based, vegan fresas con crema recipe. It’s just as delicious as the vegetarian version and also a dessert that’s always at hit!
Vegan Fresas con Crema
Did you see my previous vegetarian version of fresas con crema?
Well, here’s the vegan version of this muy popular Mexican dessert.
Vegan fresas con crema is just as delicious as the dairy version. This is a bit healthier and lower in sugar than the dairy crema recipe.
So of course in this vegan version we aren’t going to be using the dairy based milks that are used in the vegetarian recipe.
Our base is going to be an almond cream. The recipe is pretty much based on my vegan crema recipe, with some modifications to make a sweet version.
You could use vegan sweet condensed milk and vegan heavy cream, but not everyone has those available to them.
So that’s why in this recipe we’re going to keep it simple and more budget friendly!
Fun Fact about Mexican Strawberries and Cream
Did you know that this recipe didn’t actually originate in Mexico?
It’s based on the English dessert strawberries and cream. Of course, throughout the time in Mexico, it’s been given that Mexican touch.
How to Make Mexican Vegan Strawberries and Cream
The process is quite simple, it just takes a little more preparation than the non-vegan version.
Soak and Peel The Almonds to Make Almond Cream
In a small container place the almond and then pour plenty of water over them. You can there to be extra because the almonds will expand and absorb water. Let sit overnight or for about 6 to 8 hours.
It’s best to use unpeeled almonds because they’ll not only be fresher but also are less expensive than blanched almonds.
Blend The Almonds and Other Ingredients
The peeled almonds are placed in the blender with a little bit of water. Then they are blended until smooth. Next, the sugar, vanilla extract, and more water are added.
The ingredients are blended until perfectly smooth. You could strain the cream if you’d like or if you have a powerful blender there’s no need.
Cook The Sweet Almond Cream
Once the almond cream is smooth it’s time to cook and thicken it up.
Pour the mixture into a pot and over medium-low heat simmer for a few minutes. Next mix a little bit of water with corn starch until smooth, mix into the pot.
Simmer the crema until it has thickened up a little bit. Then remove from heat and allow to cool slightly before refrigerating for 15 minutes to cool down completely.
How to Serve Vegan Fresa con Crema
To serve simply use some dessert cups then begin layering the quartered strawberries with the cooled sweet crema. Serve immediately.
Some people like to take some strawberries and blend them with the chilled crema. They then mix in the remaining strawberries and serve. I like the layering option instead.
How to Store
You can make the dessert ahead of time if you’d like. Some people like to mix the strawberries with the cream and then serve. Or you could follow the process I did, it’s up to you.
To store, place everything in the refrigerator and enjoy within 3 days. This dessert is enjoyed best fresh on the day of preparation.
You could also freeze the mixed dessert, that’s how you’ll find it in stores here in Mexico. I’m not a huge fan of frozen strawberries, but if you do freeze them do so no longer than 4 months.
If you don’t want to make the sweet almond cream then you could use vegan unflavored yogurt or a vanilla flavored one. Another variation would be to use thick coconut cream, which of course, will give a slightly different taste.
If you can find vegan sweetened condensed milk that would work great instead of using the sugar.
You could also try to add cocoa powder to the blender for a strawberries and chocolate flavor.
Vegan Fresas con Crema Recipe
Vegan Fresas con Crema
- Soak the almonds overnight or for 8 hours until they plump up and become softer. Remove peels.
- Place almonds in a blender with 1/4 cup of water and blend until smooth. Then add sugar, remaining 3/4 cups water, salt and vanilla, and blend until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a small pot. Combine 1/4 cup water with the cornstarch until smooth then pour into the pot. Simmer until thickened.
- Pour into a small bowl then refrigerate for 15 minutes to chill.
- Prepare the strawberries by rinsing and pat drying with a paper towel. Then cut into quarters.
- To serve place some strawberry pieces in a dessert cup then drizzle with sweet cream and repeat layers as desired. Serve immediately.
More Mexican Vegan Desserts to Try
- Vegan Arroz con Leche
- Marranitos or Puerquitos: Mexican Piloncillo Spiced Cookies
- Mexican Sweet Potatoes | Camotes Enmielados
- Healthy Cinnamon Sugar Tortilla Chips
- Berrylicious Matcha Chia Pudding
- How to Make a Mangonada at Home
Este es uno de los postres mas faciles y deliciosos de preparar. La receta es sin lacteos, sin crema y completamente vegana.
Ingredientes Para Fresas con Crema Vegana
- 1/2 taza de almendras
- 1 taza de agua
- 1/4 taza de azucar muscovado, o blanca
- 1/4 cucharadita de sal
- 1 cucharadita de vainilla
- 1/4 taza de agua
- 1.5 cucharadas soperas de maizena o almidon de maiz
- 500 gramos o 1 libra de fresas, cortadas en cuartos o pedasos
Como Preparar Fresas con Crema Veganas
- Una noche antes o en a mañana pon a remojar las almendras. Tienen que quedar blanditas y que facilmente se les pueda quitar la piel. Quitale la piel a las almendras.
- Se ponen en la licuadora con un cuarto de taza de agua y se licuan. Despeues se le agrega los 3/4 de agua, azucar, sal y vainilla y se licua.
- Se vacia a una olla y en un recipiente pequeño se mezcla el 1/4 de taza de agua con la maizena y se agrega a la olla.
- Mientras mesclas constante mente deja cocinar la crema hasta que quiede espesa. Se retira de la estufa y se deja enfriar por 15 minutos en el refrigirador. Las fresas se pueden lavar, secar y picar mientras enfria la crema.
- Se sirven las fresas en un vasito y se les agrega la crema dulce. Esta receta es para 4 porciones de buen tamaño.