Tacos don’t have to be complicated to taste amazing. These potato tacos with spinach are a perfect example of that! These soft tacos are vegan (with vegetarian option), really easy to prepare and you’ll be surprised how flavorful such simple ingredients can be.
Tacos de papa or potato tacos are quite common in Mexico. They are authentically a vegan taco.
Though there are many variations where they’ll become vegetarian instead.
Most often you’ll see potato tacos deep fried — but these are healthier because they aren’t. These are what American’s like to call “soft tacos”.
Additionally when fried the potatoes are actually mashed, not like here where we’re leaving them in small cubes.
To make these tacos even more delicious and nutritious we’re also adding some spinach.
The vibrant green of the spinach not only adds nutrition but also look how pretty it looks specked throughout the bits of potatoes.
Spinach tacos aren’t a common thing in Mexico but they sure do pair excellent with potatoes. Toss in some onion, garlic and seasonings and you’ve got a magical taco combination.
Potato Tacos Made Vegan or Vegetarian
This recipe is an old one on my blog, I’m updating it to add a video for your convenience. Also to show you how you can serve it either vegan or vegetarian. Both versions are delicious, just depends on your needs or cravings.
To make these a vegan taco recipe just follow the instructions for the filling. Then simply top with your some red onion, your favorite salsa and a drizzle of lime juice.
How to Make These Vegan Potato Tacos
Amigos, the recipe is so crazy simple. There’s not much to it and I promise you’re going to put these tacos on rotation.
For starters, prep all of your ingredients before you begin. The recipe moves fast so be ready.
The potatoes need to be cut into very small cubes. This is so they don’t rip the tortilla as larger cubes. You don’t have to peel them, just make sure the potatoes are thoroughly cleaned. The recipe calls for sautéing them until soft. If you’d like you could also boil them first then sauté. I just don’t like to dirty up another dish so I sauté instead.
So begin by sautéing the onion in a little olive oil until soft and add a little bit of salt to them. Then add the garlic and cook for a couple of minutes. Next add the potatoes, sprinkle with a little salt and cook until soft. Stir now and then to evenly cook.
While the potatoes are cooking you can prep your salsa, if you don’t have one already made. Or you can wash the dishes.
Once the potatoes are soft, add the spinach. If the leaves are large tear them into smaller pieces or use baby spinach instead. Stir and cook until the spinach wilts.
Next add some ground black pepper and a little bit more salt if desired. Stir and cook for 2 minutes. Now you’re ready to serve.
How to Serve These Soft Tacos
All salsas are delicious but each give a slight different flavor.
Besides the queso (if you’re making them vegetarian), another great side dish is refried beans to give the meal a bit more protein.
Occasionally when I have extra chiles gueros or banana peppers, I love to grill them on the stove until soft. They taste amazing, give it a try sometime.
Potato and Spinach Tacos | Soft Tacos Made Vegan or Vegetarian
Alright amigos below is the fully written recipe. You can also watch the video for a visual guide. If you have any questions do let me know. You can send me and email or reach out on Instagram. Enjoy!
If you make them please do leave a star rating review in your comment. It’s a huge help for my blog if you do so. Gracias!
Potato Tacos with Spinach (Vegan Soft Tacos)
- 2 large potatoes cut into small cubes
- 1 lb fresh spinach more if desired
- 1/3 cup white onion finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic finely minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt adjust to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper adjust to taste
- 12 corn tortillas or flour if desired
- 1/4 medium red onion sliced (for topping)
- Heat the oil in a very large pan. Once warm add the onion and sprinkle with pinch of sea salt. Sauté until soft and translucent.
- Next add the minced garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Then add the potatoes, mix well and cook until soft. Stir now and then for even cooking. You can cover the pan or add a little bit of water to prevent them from sticking to the pan and having to add extra oil. Sprinkle the potatoes with a little bit more salt.
- Once the potatoes are cooked through mix in the spinach. Adding a little bit at at time until all has been added. Cook just until wilted. Taste the potatoes to see if more salt is needed. Then sprinkle in the ground black pepper and more salt if desired. Turn off the heat and serve.
To Serve The Tacos
- Warm the tortillas and place about a couple of tablespoons of the potato mix into each tortilla.
- Top with sliced red onion, serve with a couple of lime wedges and salsa. Let everyone add the lime juice and salsa.
If you have any leftovers you can use them to fill quesadillas, or sopes or gorditas — even burritos!
Another thing I love to do is the next morning warm up the leftovers and serve with a sunny side up egg. It makes a delicious breakfast!
More Mexican Potato Recipes
Amigos check out these other potato recipes too.