Chorizo con Huevos | Mexican Chorizo with Eggs
Chorizo con huevos, or Mexican chorizo with eggs, is a simple recipe that’s incredibly delicious and easy to prepare! It makes great vegetarian breakfast tacos, with vegan option, and you can mix in potatoes for extra flavor.
Chorizo con Huevos
Chorizo con huevos or huevos con chorizo, which ever name you know this classic Mexican dish by, we can all agree that it’s quite the delicious meal.
This is a popular breakfast item across Mexican homes and restaurants.
As you can tell it’s made using chorizo sausage (Mexican not Spanish) and eggs. The chorizo is sautéed with a little oil until cooked, then eggs are scrambled into it. It can be served with queso fresco, fresh salsa and maybe a side of refried beans.
What to Serve with Chorizo con Huevos
Here are some easy and delicious recipes to serve with your Mexican chorizo and eggs.
- Refried beans on the side make the perfect accompaniment. (Use either pinto or black beans.)
- Queso fresco either vegan queso or vegetarian queso fresco
- Your favorite fresh salsa. Like pico de gallo or salsa verde are great options. (In a pinch use hot sauce instead.)
- Toppings such as avocado slices, chilli peppers like pickled jalapeños or serrano peppers. Mexican pickled carrots are also delicious on these tacos.
- Tortillas are a must! Serve with either corn or flour tortillas. Both taste great but specially if you serve on a homemade flour tortilla.
Mexican Chorizo Not Spanish
In this easy breakfast recipe of course we are referring to Mexican chorizo, not the Spanish type. Spanish recipes for making chorizo links are quite different than the Mexican recipes.
Though both are pork sausage, please note that Spanish chorizo is very different than the Mexican kind. (In Mexico we have many different types of chorizo.) You don’t want to swap Spanish chorizo in this or any other Mexican recipe
Spanish chorizo is a cured red sausage, whereas Mexican is a loose meat sausage (in sausage links) that is spiced with chiles, spices and other ingredients. Also note that chorizo is not one of the spicy Mexican sausage out there.
Of course here in this recipe we are referring to a healthier, meat-free choice of vegan chorizo. This is what we’ll be using for my recipe.
Chorizo with Eggs and Potato
If you want to give your chorizo and eggs extra flavor you can mix in bite-size pieces of boiled potato. This not only gives another level of flavor and texture, but it also stretches the dish further — perfect for those needing a budget friendly meal.
I’ve previously shared my recipe for chorizo and potato. There are so many ways to eat that dish and here’s one more.
Breakfast Tacos with Chorizo con Huevos
We all know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and we also know tacos are one of the most important food groups. So today we’ll be combining the two.
This makes quite the tasty breakfast, but I’ll let you in on a little secret. It also makes a great brunch dish or one of those easy dinners when you don’t feel like fussing too much or are too tired to cook.
And hey, it’s tacos after all!
Chorizo con huevo is a very common Mexican breakfast. In my house we eat it usually at least once a week. It’s one of my favorite ways to start the day and I think it can become one of yours too.
Paired with the items mentioned above and with a strong cup of coffee, it’s a great and filling way to start the day. Plus with vegan chorizo it makes a healthy breakfast.
If you want more ideas for other Mexican breakfasts made vegan and vegetarian, do check out my recipe archives in the following link, Mexican Vegan Breakfasts and Vegetarian Mexican Breakfast Ideas.
How to Make Chorizo con Huevos
It’s really quite simple to make this dish, and if you’ve previously made just chorizo con papas, then the next morning all that you do is heat up any leftovers and mix in some lightly beaten eggs.
Served with some warm tortillas and you’ve got yourself a hearty breakfast that will leave you full for hours.
Step #1: Sauté Onion & Garlic
Start by prepping the potatoes if you’re going to use them. While they’re boiling you grab a large skillet and warm over medium heat, then sauté the onions and garlic until soft and translucent.
If you want to make the dish spicier you could add some small pieces or chopped chili peppers of your choice. Sauté them with the onion and garlic.
Step #2: Add Chorizo
Next add in the vegan chorizo and sauté for a 8 minutes. I like to add a little bit of olive oil to the pan. You can add oil to but it depends on how much oil your soy chorizo releases, in the case that a lot then drain off any excess oil.
I also like to turn make the chorizo meat a bit crispier by turning the stove to medium-high heat for a couple of minutes, then turning the heat back down. Make sure to stir often to get crumbled chorizo in small bits and pieces
Step #3: Add Potatoes
Once you have cooked chorizo now you’re ready to add the cooked potatoes, if using them. Season with a little bit of salt then mix until well combined and sauté for 5 minutes.
Step #4: Mix in Eggs
While the potatoes and chorizo are cooking, lightly beat the eggs in a small bowl. Then add them to the mix and cook until the eggs are set.
Step #5: Serve
Now you’re ready to serve! Serve on warm corn tortillas or flour tortillas. You can add some homemade refried beans on the side, and definitely serve some salsa verde. Enjoy!
Seriously this is one easy breakfast recipe!
(On some occasions, when I wanted a different taste, I have taken warm English muffin and added a slice of vegan cheddar cheese to make super easy breakfast that though not common to Mexican cuisine, it’s a delicious fusion meal.)
How to Make Vegan Mexican Sausage & Eggs
Taking a vegetarian dish and making it vegan is actually quite easy. Specially in the case of savory egg dishes.
We can easily swap out the egg for either tofu or an egg replacer like Just Egg.
How to Make Vegan Chorizo con Huevos
When I want to make vegan chorizo with eggs I take silken tofu, drain it then roughly chop it up.
I add it at the same time as the potatoes and stir until everything is well incorporated. I love adding a sprinkle of black salt to give it that “eggy” taste. Additionally a pinch of turmeric to give the vegan egg that golden color in scrambled eggs. It’s allowed to cook for about 8 minutes.
Then the soy chorizo gets incorporated and the rest of the instructions and serving suggestions are all the same.
Make sure to taste it before serving and add additional salt if desired.
Nancy’s Favorite Vegan & Vegetarian Mexican Breakfasts
Check out these delicious breakfast recipes, there’s something for everyone.
- Breakfast Tacos | Hot Dog with Eggs . Sometimes also called winnie con huevos.
- Vegan Migas Made with corn chips this is a delicious tofu scramble.
- Vegan Breakfast Burritos This is a delicous recipe by my amiga Ana.
I also love chilaquiles, avena, tofu scrambles, crepas with fruit, homemade yogurt with fruit…and so many more, specially leftovers from the previous night’s dinner.
Huevos con Chorizo Recipe
Ok amigos below is the printable recipe card for this delicious chorizo con huevos recipe. I really do hope you give it a try very soon. Remember to tag me on your social media if you do make it, please leave me a review at the bottom of this post, and don’t forget to subscribe to the newsletter so you never miss a recipe.
Chorizo con Huevos Recipe | Huevos con Chorizo
- 1 large potatoes peeled cut into bitesize pieces & boiled until tender*
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 small white onion roughly chopped into small pieces
- 2 whole garlic cloves finely minced
- 7 oz vegan chorizo or 200 grams
- 1 teaspoon salt adjust to taste
- 4 medium medium eggs lightly beaten (you can add up to 6 if desired)
- If you’re going to use the potatoes start here, if not skip to step 2. The first step after chopping up the potato bits, it’s to boil them until they begin just to soften. Drain and set aside.
- In a very large pan heat up the oil then add the chopped onion. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and sauté until soft and translucent.
- Once the onion is nice and soft you can add the minced garlic. Sauté for a couple of minutes. Stir now and then to prevent it from burning.
- Now you’re ready to add the vegan chorizo. Mix until it’s completely combined with the cooked onion and garlic. Sauté until the chorizo is nice and crispy. If you don’t like it a little crispy then just cook for about 8 minutes or less.
- Now you’re going to add the boiled potato pieces, if using them. Mix until well combined with the chorizo mixture. Once everything is well combined you can sprinkle in some more salt. Give the ingredients another good mix. Sauté for 5 more minutes.
- While the chorizo is cooking with the potatoes or on it's own, crack the eggs into a medium bowl and lightly beat.
- Then pour into the pan and stir until well combined. Allow the egg to cook and set until you're desired texture — I leave it for about 7 minutes. Serve as desired
- It’s up to you if you want to use the potato, you don’t have to and both versions taste delicious.
- Serve with some homemade salsa verde for topping like my, Easy Salsa Verde
Nancy Lopez is a food blogger and author of the cookbook Mexican Tamales Made Meatless. Born in Mexico, raised in the US, and currently living in Southern Mexico, she has followed a meatless diet for almost 10 years. It is her passion and mission to share all she has learned about vegan Mexican cooking and vegetarian Mexican recipes. Mexican Made Meatless is a blog dedicated to preserving the authentic flavors of Mexican cuisine just without the meat. It’s a place to celebrate Mexican culture and all it’s delightfully delicious traditional foods. Read more…
Thanks to Pinterest, I became extremely creative with tacos our first week as vegans. We had tacos almost every day for dinner!
Mom used to make me this I came to college and now miss her foods
I hope it comes close to your mom’s. Enjoy!
A meal by itself. Delicious combination of Potatoes, eggs and Chorizo. Festive Breakfast for sure.
Thank you so much!
Delicious! I love making dishes like this for breakfast as I like savory better than sweet dishes first thing in the morning. Your step by step directions were so easy to follow. I definitely will make this recipe again.
I’m the same way, savory over sweet for breakfast. Thank you and enjoy Amy!
This is the perfect breakfast for when you’re wanting something delicious with a little bit of Mexican flare. So fantastic, thank you!
Yes exactly, thank you Chandice!
This is our new favorite breakfast! It has so much flavor and we just love the combination of the chorizo and eggs. Such a great recipe, thank you!
So happy to hear it, thank you Tracy!
I love this breakfast. Thank you for this yummy/savory recipe. Mexican Chorizo with scrambled eggs rocks!
My pleasure, thank you Jenny!
I have never heard of this before, but it looks and sounds delicious! Your pictures are very helpful! Thanks for the share!
I hope you give it a try very soon. Thank you Ann!
This is the perfect breakfast combination! So tasty, flavorful, and delicious. Love how simple it is to make and it came together perfectly.
Thank you LaKita, glad to hear it!
I’m not a fan of real chorizo so I’m always looking for vegetarian recipes that use it. I absolutely love this Huevos recipe. Will definitely make again!
Glad you found this recipe, I have other vegan chorizo recipes so do check those out too. Thanks!
This was a delicious way to start the day! We made ours into breakfast tacos, and they kept me satisfied all morning. I just love the flavor of chorizo — so good!
Breakfast tacos are great way to start the day. Thank you!
This chorizo looks incredibly flavorful and I appreciate how you provided different vegan options for it as well.
Thank you Moop!