This Mexican fried chicken sandwich or torta de milanesa de pollo is going to become your favorite torta ever! The recipe is fully vegan, super delicious and healthy too.
Fried Chicken Sandwich
If you read my previous post and recipe now you can see a scrumptious way to use that Vegan Fried Chicken.
In Mexico we have a very popular sandwiches or tortas that you can get just about anywhere. The milanesa de pollo or fried chicken cutlets was always one of my favorites.
For some reason since going meatless it never occurred to me to make a vegan version. I know many of you have probably already made a vegan version of this torta having access to faux cutlets. But here where I live in Mexico, we don’t have easy access to faux meats, so it never really crossed my mind…Until now!
Chicken Milanese or Chicken Milanesa
So just to make something clear, milanese and milanesa are the same thing.
In Italian cooking the word that refers to these thin breaded and fried meat cutlets is milanese. In Spanish the milanesa refers to the same thing.
Though they could mean different types of meats in each country.
But so amigos, whenever you see a recipe with a milanese or milanesa that you want to veganize, just use my vegan fried chicken recipe with the oyster mushrooms. It’ll work perfectly!
It’s Fauxllo Not Pollo
So of course this being a “meatless” blog we aren’t going to be using meat and will be using the fauxllo oyster mushroom cutlets instead.
As you may have already guessed, we’ll be using the fried oyster mushroom chicken cutlets for our tortas de milanesa.
These are sooo so yummy, I promise!
What to Use in a Vegan Torta de Milanesa
There are so many variations to this, you can stuff the bread roll with anything you like. But these are very common ingredients and also what I like to use.
Bread Roll or Bollillos: You need to have a rustic Mexican bolillo roll to best experience a torta de milanesa. You can get them at your Mexican food store. You can bake your own or in a pinch you could even use a baguette. Which will work fine with the smaller oyster mushroom fried chicken cutlets we’ll use.
Refried Beans: If you can use homemade that would be best. But store bought in a pinch is fine. It’s not difficult to make them at home, got check out my vegan refried beans recipe.
Mayo: I love mayonnaise on my tortas! But if you don’t you can use vegan crema instead. I also have an easy recipe for the crema, get it here. I use Hellmann’s Vegan Mayo and I believe you can get it pretty much anywhere.
Oyster Mushroom Fried “Chicken” Cutlets: These are so easy to make. I make them in the air fryer so they’re healthier than frying, but that’s up to you. My recipe for these is here.
A Good Salsa: This is optional, but drizzling salsa over the fauxpollo milanesa makes the torta taste even better. I have a few recipes you can choose from or make your own.
Avocado: I mean this is a must! Avocado makes everything taste better. If you don’t like the mayo or sour cream you can simply smear some mashed avocado on the bolillo instead. You could even do an avocado salsa instead, so delicious.
Lettuce, Tomato & Onion: These are usually included in a torta, but you can use them all or only what you like.
Pickled Jalapeños: These give the sandwich a touch of tartness an heat. It’s a great addition. Use as many as you like.
Torta de Milanesa de Pollo Vegan Recipe
Ok amigos check out the super easy recipe below. If you want you can make a large batch of the oyster mushroom fried chicken so you can make these vegan tortas, but also to use in other recipes for the week. It works great for meal prep.
FRIED CHICKEN SANDWICH | TORTA DE MILANESA DE POLLO
Vegan Fried Chicken Cutlets Ingredients
- 10 oz oyster mushroom petals the freshest possible
- 1 1/4 cups soy milk unsweetened & unflavored
- 1 1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups panko or regular breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt adjust to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric powder optional
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- spray oil
Fried Chicken Sandwich (Torta de Milanesa) Ingredients
- Vean fried chicken cutlets
- 4 bolillo bread rolls
- 1 cup refried beans
- 4 Tablespoons vegan mayonnaise or vegan crema
- Salsa of your choice
- 1 large avocado sliced
- 1 large tomato sliced
- 1/4 white onion slices
- 4 pickled jalapeños sliced in strips
Vegan Fried Chicken Cutlets Instructions
- In a bowl mix the 1 1/2 teaspoons of poultry seasoning with the soy milk. Mix until well combined. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- In a separate bowl combine the panko or breadcrumbs with the 1 teaspoon of poultry seasoning and all remaining spices. Stir until well combined. Set aside. In another bowl pour in the flour.
- To prep the oyster mushrooms, separate large pieces into smaller petals. You can cut off a little bit of the hard stem if desired. With a damp paper towel wipe away any dirt and debris.
- Dip each petal into the seasoned soy milk first, then dredge in the flour shaking off excess flour, then dip into the soy milk again. Lastly dredge in seasoned panko then set aside on a large cutting board or baking sheet. Continue doing this until all of the petals have been battered. If there are any with some spots of flour brush them with a little bit of the leftover soy milk.
- Lightly spray the battered mushrooms with the spray oil. Place as many as you can in your air fryer basket without overcrowding them. Put them in with the sprayed side up. Set the temperature to 400F for 9 minutes.
- After the 9 minutes flip over and spray with more spray oil if desired. Cook for another 4 to 5 more minutes. They’re done once golden on both sides. Remove from the air fryer and allow to cool on a plate. Continue with batches until all mushrooms have been air fried.
Fried Chicken Sandwich (Torta de Milanesa) Instructions
- Slice a bolillo lengthwise, smear some vegan mayo on one side then add refried beans and spread. Arrange some vegan fried chicken cutlets on top of the beans. Then top with onion, tomato, salsa, avocado, jalapeño and lettuce. Serve!
HELP US RATE THIS RECIPE
Please make sure to leave a comment and a star rating if you make the recipe, it’s a huge help for my blog. Gracias!
So Easy and Yummy!
See how easy it is to make these vegan tortas?
I really do think that once you give these a try you’re going to put them on your meal rotation. I know I have since I started making them.
Best of all, as I mentioned you can make a batch and do some meal prep with the vegan fried chicken. I always do and so then I can enjoy these tortas, or chop up the faux milanesa and use it in my salads. I also love to dip them in some ranch dressing. So so yummy!!