Who says you have to spend hours in the kitchen to make a scrumptious meal?!
Nope, some of the most delicious meals I’ve prepared have come together in a half hour or even less sometimes. Such is the case with this easy vegan fajitas made using oyster mushrooms and poblano peppers. If you don’t already have the ingredients needed for this recipe, do put them on your next grocery list so that you’ll be prepared to throw together the ingredients and have some fajitas when you either don’t feel like cooking or just craving them.
The meal is so simple, and even if you don’t have access to poblano peppers you can just use bell peppers. You’ll noticed that I fire roasted the poblanos for this recipe, but just raw will also work. I realise most of you just aren’t going to have some leftover fire roasted poblanos lying around, so feel free to either just use them raw or swap them for green bell peppers. The point it to make the meal quick and easy! All you need to do is serve with warm tortillas (either corn or flour), your favourite salsa (I used green salsa this time), and a refreshing drink. Then you’ve got a quick and nutritious lunch or very light dinner ready to serve. If you’d like to make this a bigger meal serve with some refried beans and/or Mexican rice.
Do watch the video below for a perfect visual explanation and you can get the printable recipe right below the video.
(If you don’t see the video right below this text, view it on our YouTube channel by clicking here.)
- one pack of oyster mushrooms, sliced into strips
- 3 medium poblano peppers roasted over an open flame, or just cut into strips
- half a small purple onion, sliced into strips
- 3 cloves of garlic, roughly minced
- 1 to 2 serrano peppers, thinly sliced
- vegetable seasoning
- dried epazote leaf or omit if you don't have
- low-sodium soy sauce, to taste
- olive oil
- Heat the oil and once hot add the onions, sauté until soft. Then add the minced garlic and serrano pepper, and cook for a minute or two. Then add the poblano pepper and sauté for a few minutes before adding the oyster mushrooms. Sprinkle the vegetable seasoning and epazote if using, over the ingredients. Lastly drizzle the soy sauce over the vegetables and cook just until the mushrooms are soft and tender. Serve with warm tortillas and your favourite salsa.