Magic happens when a Mexican concha pan dulce meets an American shortcake. Meet the Concha Strawberry Shortcake!
Stuffed Concha Pan Dulce is Popular
Amigos I have a super treat for you today, Concha Strawberry Shortcake!! It’s a fusion of Mexican pan dulce with a favorite American dessert. This is super easy to put together and guaranteed to make you oh so very happy.
Here in Campeche, where I live, stuffed conchas have recently become popular. Across other states of the country they have been around for a while. It really is no surprise how popular they’ve become.
In Mexico you may see these simply called conchas rellenas.
They, of course, are not how the traditional concha is served. But it sure is a fun way to eat them.
Variations of Stuffed Conchas
For the Nutella lovers there’s also a version that has nutella and sliced strawberries — they are also delicious!
Below are other types of stuffed conchas, some are rather strange combinations but have become quite popular.
- Similar to the one in my recipe, mascarpone is also used.
- Nata is another variation.
- Concha rellena con frijoles: Yup refried beans stuffed in a concha. Sometimes cheese or chorizo or longaniza can also be added.
- Conchas rellenas con chilaquiles: Sweet, spicy, soft and a little crunchy.
- I’ve also seen conchas stuffed with cold cuts and cheese.
As you can see, it only takes a little imagination to create a unique variation!
What is Strawberry Shortcake
Traditionally a strawberry shortcake is made using a biscuit, whipped cream and fresh strawberries.
It’s quite a simple recipe and the majority of the work is involved in making the buttery, crumbly, biscuits from scratch.
This recipe Easy Homemade Strawberry Shortcake by Sally’s Baking Addiction, is heavenly!
Concha Strawberry Shortcake
As I mentioned these stuffed conchas are simply called conchas rellenas. But when I saw them they reminded me of one of my favorite American desserts, strawberry shortcake. So I decided to call them that.
You can say it’s a fusion of my two cultures, Mexican and American.
But above all you can definitely call this creation a fusion of deliciousness. Guaranteed to make everyone happy!
Also, thank you to whomever first thought of this!!
Concha Strawberry Shortcake
- 1 chocolate conchas
- 5 Tablespoons whipped cream preferably homemade
- 5 fresh strawberries sliced
- Slice the conchas in half. Spread 2 to 3 heaping tablespoons over the bottom half. Arrange as many strawberry slices as will fit on top of the whipped cream. Add another layer of whipped cream over the strawberries. Use about 2 Tablespoons and spread as evenly as possible. Top with another layer of strawberries then put the top half of the concha over the stuffed bottom.
- Slice and enjoy!
As you can see this is a super easy dessert to put together. It would be great for buffet or kids allowing them to put it together.
What Does Concha Strawberry Shortcake Taste Like
Amigos, I have to tell you that I really love this treat.
The concha is sweet, but not overly so, which makes it one of my favorite pan dulces. Combined with the creamy fluffiness of the whipped cream and the sweet-tart strawberries, makes this a perfect dessert in my book!
I really hope you give it a try. If you do make sure to tag me on social media as @MexicanMadeMeatless