What happens when you combine watermelon with tequila? Magic! This super refreshing drink is kind of like a margarita, but not quite. What it is, is bursting with summer flavor and has just a touch of alcohol, perfect when you want to relax but not get drunk!
Watermelon Is Good For Your Body
According to Live Science
Each juicy bite has significant levels of vitamins A, B6 and C, lots of lycopene, antioxidants and amino acids. There’s even a modest amount of potassium. Plus, this quintessential summer snack is fat-free, very low in sodium and has only 40 calories per cup.
So how great is that?!
Is Tequila Healthy
So while our first thought of an liquor and think it can’t possibly be healthy, tequila does actually have health benefits. Of course it’s all if drunk in moderation just like other alchololic beverages.
Tequila is known to be
- good for your bones
- aid in weight loss
- helps you sleep better
- improves digestion by creating good gut flora or bacteria
- prevents dementia
- the natural sugar in tequila doesn’t spike blood sugar levels, which is helpful to those with type 2 diabetes.
- lower cholesterol levels
- good quality tequila doesn’t cause a hangover
Watermelon and Tequila Cocktail
I created this simple drink made with watermelon and tequila on a whim after I had a few bits of watermelon left in my fridge. But rather than munching on it, I was craving a refreshing drink.
What I wanted was something very simple and didn’t’ want to take the extras steps involved in making a margarita. So this simple drink was born.
There’s not a lot of tequila in it because, well I didn’t want to get drunk. I just wanted a cold, refreshing drink to help me cool off but not get drunk.
Watermelon and Silver Tequila Cocktail
- 1 cup watermelon chunks divided into 2 parts
- 1 Tablespoon muscavado sugar
- 1.5 oz silver or blanco tequila (add more if desired)
- 1 oz freshly squeezed lime juice
- ice cubes, lots
- 2 or 3 oz sparkling water
- lime slice for garnish
- Place half a cup of the watermelon chunks into a glass and begin to muddle until broken down. Then add the remaining half of the watermelon and again muddle until broken down. Add the sugar and muddle until everthing is broken down as much as possible. You could of course just put it into a blender, but why dirty up another thing to clean up.
- Next pour in the tequila and give it a good stir, then add the lime juice and again stir. Add the ice cubes then pour in the sparkling water and carefuly give the drink a stir to combine.
Salud amigos! I think you’ll really enjoy this sweet, slightly tart, refreshing, and very summery drink.
I used Gran Centenario silver (or blanco) tequila but you could also use reposado. But I feel that with a simple cocktail like this, the silver tequila works best for the flavor without overshadowing the watermelon and lime flavors.
The links below are for Amazon. We are an affiliate and with every purchase you make through these links, it helps this blog earn a small commission to fund new recipes. Gracias Amigos!