My husband and I wanted to share his eggnog recipe with you. In fact he specifically asked if I would photograph it and share with you. Isn’t he cute? Of course I couldn’t refuse him. Eggnog is one of the things he loves most and looks forward to every Christmas. Every year he prepares a batch of his family’s old traditional eggnog. Though I’m not an eggnog fan I adore watching him in the kitchen and the smell of nutmeg in the air.
Before we get to the recipe there are a few things we need to mention.
The eggs are raw. Some people don’t feel safe consuming raw eggs but it is what he uses. Make sure they are the freshest available. Of course we are not responsible for the eggs you use so it is your call.
Whole fat milk will yield thicker and better tasting eggnog.
Lastly, this is a non-alcoholic version that can easily be made alcoholic. If you’d like feel free to add some brandy or rum. Just mix in a cup or as much as you like into the eggnog. Okay let’s get to the recipe.
American eggnog is a bit different than Mexican rompope. I hope to share a recipe for that soon.
- 12 medium egg yolk
- 1.5 cups or 320 g white granulated sugar
- 4 cups or 1 liter of 4% or full fat milk
- 2 cups or 500 ml heavy cream (31% fat or higher)
- one teaspoon ground nutmeg, or adjust to taste
- one teaspoon good quality vanilla extract
- large bowl
- Place the egg yolks and white sugar into the blender. Blend for about 2 minutes or until the mix thickens up. Pour the yolk-sugar mix into a large bowl, whisk in milk and cream. Continue mixing until the sugar has completely dissolved. Sprinkle in the nutmeg and pour in the vanilla, mix until well incorporated. Taste and adjust nutmeg if desired.
- Chill until ready to serve. Sprinkle ground cinnamon over each cup before serving.
2. Whole fat milk and heavy cream yield thicker and better tasting eggnog.
3. For alcoholic version add a cup of good quality brandy or rum after nutmeg and vanilla has been added. Whisk again until brandy/rum is well incorporated into the eggnog.
In my husband’s own word the eggnog tastes “creamy, rich, like Christmas and full of childhood memories.”
Christmas is only a few day away and I want to wish each and everyone of you a very happy holiday. May you be surrounded by the ones you love and with plenty of good food. Feliz Navidad, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
Disclosure: Purchasing your ingredients through our Amazon product affiliate links helps support this website. Thanks so much!