A perfect topping or garnish with any of your favorite Mexican meals, perfectly crisp and just the right amount of heat in these Mexican pickled carrots!
What Are Zanahoria en Escabeche
Crunchy not Mushy
Zanahorias En Escabeche Or Mexican Spicy Pickled Carrots
- 3/4 lb. of carrots
- 1 large white or Spanish onion
- 2 to 3 fresh jalapeños or serrano chilis
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon of whole black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon of oregano preferably Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon of fine sea salt
- 2 cups plain white vinegar
- 3 cups of water
- 1/8 cup of olive oil
- jars and lids sanitized ( I used 2 small you may only need 1 large one)
- large frying pan
- 1 medium pot
- 1. To prepared or sanitize the jars and lids: You can do this quickly by placing the jars and lids inside a large and deep pot filled with water and bring to a boil, boil for 10 minutes and remove and drain off the water while you prepare the carrots. Another way to sanitize the jars is by washing them in a dishwasher with very hot water.2. Peel the carrots and slice into 2-inch pieces, either into coins or diagonally. Peel and chop the onion into 4 parts, peel and slice the garlic cloves into halves. Slice the chiles into quarters. In a large frying pan heat the oil, add the carrots and cook for about 5 minutes. Next add the chiles, onion, garlic, and bay leaves and cook for another 10 minutes. Next add the salt, oregano, and peppercorns and cook for about 3 minutes, stir to combine the spices and vegetables well. Test a piece of carrot to see how crisp or tender it is. You can decide how much crispness you’d like your carrots to have, cook until they reach your desired texture. Turn off heat and set aside. 4. In a medium pot (while your carrots are cooking), mix the water and vinegar and bring to a soft boil under medium-low heat. Once boiling cover and turn heat to low and allow to simmer until it’s ready to be poured over the carrots in the jars.5. Once the jars have been sanitized, the carrots cooked and vinegar-water mix boiled, you can line up your jar(s) and lid(s) for filling. In each jar fill, 3/4 full with the carrot mixture then pour in vinegar mix into the jar but leave about 1/8th inch of space from the rim to leave enough room so it doesn’t spill. Seal tightly and set aside fill your other jar. Allow your jar or jars to sit and cool down, do make sure they are tightly sealed. Once they have cooled down to room temperature you can put them in the refrigerator. Let them sit in there at least overnight or longer if you want, the longer the more the flavors seep into the carrots and give you more flavorful carrots. Tightly sealed they will keep up to a couple of weeks in the refrigerator, that’s if they last you that long!
Tell me what do you like to top with these pickled carrots?